A Digital Agenda For Library Automation and Networking is an Integrated
Library Management Software from National
Informatics Centre,(NIC), Ministry of
and Information Technology, Government of India. The software has been developed
by a team of experts from software as well as Library and Information Science discipline
and is useful for automation of in-house activities of libraries and to provide
various online member services. The software
provides built-in Web OPAC interface to publish the library catalog over Internet
and is UNICODE Compliant thus, supports data entry in local languages. Latest version
of e-Granthalaya i.e. Ver.4.0 is a 'Cloud Ready Application' and provides a Web-based
data entry solution in enterprise mode with a centralized database for cluster of
libraries. e-Granthalaya 4.0 uses PostgreSQL - an Open Source DBMS
as back-end database solution and is made availab in NIC National
Cloud (Meghraj) for Government Libraries as per the NIC Distribution Policy.
e-Granthalaya was started as an in-house project at 'Karnataka State Centre of NIC,
Bangalore' and first version of the software was designed for the Public Libraries
in the State. Later, NIC HQs 'Library and Information Services Division' took over
the designing of the software where library professionals were involved in the designing
process and, thus, improved the software with enhanced user interface and simplify
the work-flow of library functions so that it can suit to all kinds of libraries.
Following table shows the release of various versions of the software:
Visual Basic 6/ASP/HTML
MS SQL Server 7
Visual Basic 6/ASP/HTML
MS SQL Server 2000
MS SQL Server 2005
PostGreSQL-an Open Source DBMS
- Application is hosted in in NIC National Cloud and used Online by
User Libraries for Data Entry and Member Services.
- No Component is installed and nothing to maintain at User End (Database
and Application are hosted in NIC National Cloud )
- User Library needs to have Desktops with High-Speed Internet Connectivity
(With Min 4 MBPS).
- Other Infrastructure requied in Library: Desktop Bar Code Printer
/ Scanner / Small Laser Printer
e-Granthalaya 4.0 contains following components:
- Database (Separate database for each library cluster).
- e-Granthalaya 4.0 Application
- Crystal Reports Executables.
- Z39.50 Libraries
The software is provided at no charge to the Government Organizations Only as mentioned
- Ministries and their Departments (Central/State Governments) - on
- Organizations under Ministries (Central / State Government) - on
- Government Schools - on NIC Cloud (In case schools possess at
least 4 MBPS Net Speed)
- Government Public Libraries - on NIC Cloud
- Following Libraries may be given software for Local/LAN
Installation Only in case these organizations are having thier own Data Centre:
- Central Government Universities - Local Data Centre based Implementation
- Government Colleges / Polytechnics - Local Data Centre based
- PSUs and Autonomous Bodies library data will not be hosted in NIC
- Software is not given to Aided/Autonomous/Private/Self-Financed Colleges/Schools/Institutions/NGOs/Industrial
Libraries/Private Owned Public Libraries.
- NIC takes responsibility of its application (eG4)
only and maintains database of Government Libraries hosted in NIC Cloud.
NIC does not provide support services at user end for local/LAN based
implementation, data migration, data entry and intenet connectivity.
- Data Migration and other User End Services may be
hired from NIC/NICSI empanelled Vendors or direct from market. NIC will not
co-ordinate such services.
How to Get Software?
As a new policy of e-Granthalaya Implementation is under process, therefore
distribution of the software is discontinued temporarily. Once policy is
finalized then Implementation will be done as per new policy.
Features At a Glance
- Uses PostgreSQL - an Open Source DBMS.
- Provides Web-based Data Entry Solution
- UNICODE Compliant, supports data entry in local language
- Module - Wise Permission to the software Users
- Work-flow as per Indian Libraries
- Retro-Conversion for direct Data Entry of Books in a single form.
- Authority Files/ Master tables for Authors, Publishers, Subjects,
- Multi-Vol, Multi-Copy and Child-Parent Relationship pattern
- Download Catalog Records from Internet
- Z39.50 Client Search Built-in
- Exhaustive Reports for Print
- Export Records in CSV/Text File/MARC 21/MARC XML/ISO:2709/MS ACCESS/EXCEL
- Import Records from EXCEL File.
- Import Memberships Records from EXCEL File
- Common/Centralized Database for All libraries under One Organization,
minimize data entry
- Main/Branch Libraries Acquisition/Cataloging
- Print Accession Register in various Formats
- Search Module built-in with basic/advance/boolean parameters
- Library Statistics Reports
- CAS/SDI Services and Documentation Bulletin
- Updated Regulalry with enhanced Features
- Compact/Summary/Detailed Reports Option
- Generate Bibliography in AACR2
- Data Entry Statistics Built-In
- Full Text News Clipping Services Built-in
- Digital Library integration with uploading / downloading of pdf/html/Tiff documents
- Micro-Documents Manger (Articles/Chapter Indexing) with uploading
of full-text articles in pdf/html format
- SERIALS Control System for Subscription with Auto-Generate Schedule
- Budget Modules with Bill Register generation, manages Multi-Budget
- Import Data from any structured Source (MARC21/EXCEL)
- Well exhaustive Web Based OPAC Interface with separate Membership
- Multi-copies of Accession No can be accessioned in bulk with single
click with Auto-Accession Number.
- Manages e-Books with digital files in pdf or other formats, provides
facilities of e-Book Viewer.
- Photo Gallery available for uploading photo and pictures of the organizations
- published on the Library Web site.
- Manages Meta data for Non-Book Materialas also Includes database fields
for Legal documents thus equally suitable to Law Libraries also.
- Well Integrated with Barcode / SMS / EMail / Smart Card / RFID
- Compliance with Library Technology and ICT prevalent in Libraries.
How To Access e-Granthalaya 4.0 On Cloud?
Once library gets an Online Account of e-Granthalaya 4.0 from NIC then user may
access the application thorugh http://eg4.nic.in
e-Granthalaya 4.0 - LIVE link may be clicked and then Select the Cluster - then