A Digital Agenda For Library Automation and Networking is an Integrated
Library Management Software from National
Informatics Centre,(NIC), Ministry of
and Information Technology, Government of India. The software has been developed
by a team of experts from software as well as Library and Information Science discipline
and is useful for automation of in-house activities of libraries and to provide
various online member services. The software
provides built-in Web OPAC interface to publish the library catalog over Internet
and is UNICODE Compliant thus, supports data entry in local languages. Latest version
of e-Granthalaya i.e. Ver.4.0 is a 'Cloud Ready Application' and provides a Web-based
data entry solution in enterprise mode with a centralized database for cluster of
libraries. e-Granthalaya 4.0 uses PostgreSQL - an Open Source DBMS
as back-end database solution and is hosted at NIC National
Cloud (Meghraj) for Government Libraries as per the NIC Distribution Policy.
e-Granthalaya was started as an in-house project at 'Karnataka State Centre of NIC,
Bangalore' and first version of the software was designed for the Public Libraries
in the State. Later, NIC HQs 'Library and Information Services Division' took over
the designing of the software where library professionals were involved in the designing
process and, thus, improved the software with enhanced user interface and simplify
the work-flow of library functions so that it can suit to all kinds of libraries.
Following table shows the release of various versions of the software:
Visual Basic 6/ASP/HTML
MS SQL Server 7
Public Library Edition
Visual Basic 6/ASP/HTML
MS SQL Server 2000
Government Libraries Edition
MS SQL Server 2005
PostGreSQL-an Open Source DBMS
- Application is hosted in NIC National Cloud and used Online by
User Libraries for Data Entry and Member Services.
- No Component is installed and nothing to maintain at User End (Database
and Application are hosted in NIC National Cloud )
- User Library needs to have Desktops with High-Speed Internet Connectivity
(With Min 4 MBPS).
- Other Infrastructure requied in Library: Desktop Bar Code Printer
/ Scanner / Small Laser Printer
e-Granthalaya 4.0 contains following components:
- Database (Separate database for each library cluster).
- e-Granthalaya 4.0 Application
- Crystal Reports Executables.
- Z39.50 Libraries
Implementation and Distribution Policy
As per NIC Policy on e-Granthalaya, the software is provided to the Government
only. The Software is not installed in libraries, rather it is hosted in NIC
Cloud and libraries need to use it online, thus, high-speed NET connectivity
(min 4-8 MBPS speed) is required in libraries.
How to Get Software?
The New e-Granthalaya Policy has been finalized and it has been decided to Charge
Rs.21,275/= from each library opting to use eG4 on NIC Cloud -
as one time payment for a five years period. Users may write mail to
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org requesting us to generate Proforma Invoice (PI) /
Pre-Receipt Bill in your name to enable you to make the payment to NIC/NICSI for
e-Granthalaya Services. Please mention Name of Organization, Name of Officer to
whom PI will be issued, official address, mobile number of contact person and
Email address where PI will be mailed. Also mention number of libraries account
required for e-Granthalaya 4.0 on NIC Cloud. Libraries may send duly filled
PI Request Form to get
Proforma Invoice from NIC/NICSI.
Features At a Glance Features At a Glance
A. Domain Specific Features
- Uses PostgreSQL - an Open Source DBMS.
- Provides Web-based Data Entry Solution
- UNICODE Compliant, supports data entry in local language
- Module - Wise Permission to the software Users
- Work-flow as per Indian Libraries
- Retro-Conversion for direct Data Entry of Books in a single form.
- Authority Files/ Master tables for Authors, Publishers, Subjects, etc.
- Multi-Vol, Multi-Copy and Child-Parent Relationship pattern
- Download Catalog Records from Internet
- Z39.50 Client Search Built-in
- Exhaustive Reports for Print
- Export Records in CSV/Text File/MARC 21/MARC XML/ISO:2709/MS ACCESS/EXCEL formats
- Import Records from EXCEL/MARC/MARCXML File.
- Import Memberships Records from EXCEL File
- Common/Centralized Database for All libraries under One Organization, minimize data entry
- Main/Branch Libraries Acquisition/Cataloging
- Print Accession Register in various Formats
- Search Module built-in with basic/advance/boolean parameters
- Library Statistics Reports
- CAS/SDI Services and Documentation Bulletin / Library Newsletter
- Updated Regulalry with enhanced Features
- Compact/Summary/Detailed Reports Option
- Generate Bibliography in AACR2
- Data Entry Statistics Built-In
- Full Text News Clipping Services Built-in
- Digital Library integration with uploading / downloading of pdf/html/Tiff documents, accessible behind the Login
- Micro-Documents Manger (Articles/Chapter Indexing) with uploading of full-text articles in pdf/html format
- SERIALS Control System for Subscription with Auto-Generate Schedule
- Budget Modules with Bill Register generation, manages Multi-Budget Heads
- Well exhaustive Web Based OPAC Interface with separate Membership module, Web 3.0 / Library 3.0 Enabled
- Multi-copies of Accession No can be accessioned in bulk with single click with Auto-Accession Number.
- Manages e-Books with digital files in pdf or other formats, provides facilities of e-Book Viewer.
- Photo Gallery available for uploading photo and pictures of the organizations - published on the Library Web site.
- Manages Meta data for Non-Book Materialas also Includes database fields for Legal documents thus equally suitable to Law Libraries also.
- Well Integrated with Barcode / SMS / EMail / Smart Card / RFID Technology
- RFID integration is done using Web Service based on NCIP/SIP2 Protocols
- Compliance with Library Technology and ICT prevalent in Libraries.
- HELP Desk support at 011-24305489
- Regular Trainings are organized for e-Granthalaya Users
- Empanelment of Roll-out Services in NIC/NICSI for payment based services like Data Entry, On-Site Training and Manpower Deployment.
- Library Catalog uploaded in Union Catalog of Government Libraries, hosted in NIC Cloud and accessible in public domain at
B. Product Oriented Features
- Cloud Ready Application with Mass Deployment Architecture.
- Can connect any kind of DBMS, however, hosted in NIC Clodu with PostgreSQL - An Open Source DBMS.
- Multi-Tenant Application - connect mutiple databases with Single-Signup across the libraries.
- Well Scalable with more VMs and other Cloud Resources.
- User Configurable components.
- Well Secured Application with Audit.
- With well written documentation.
- Supports Multi-Tasking, can be opened in different browsers with many windows.
- Integration with MAIL/SMS/Smart Card/Barcode/RFID/AADHAR.
- API added for other applications.
- API from other Applications integrated such as Google Language API / ISBN API / Z39.50 Integration / WorldCat Integration / Book Cover Photo API / Book Reviews and Ratings, etc.
How To Access e-Granthalaya 4.0 On Cloud??
Once library gets an Online Account of e-Granthalaya 4.0 from NIC then user may
access the application thorugh http://eg4.nic.in
e-Granthalaya 4.0 - LIVE link may be clicked and then Select the Cluster - then